In April 2018, the Vietnam POSCO Steel Village project, a joint initiative between Habitat for Humanity and its long-term partner POSCO, was presented at an annual session of the United Nations Commission on Population and Development that met to discuss sustainable cities, human mobility and international migration. The initiative has also been posted on the United Nations’ Partnerships for the SDGs, an online platform for sharing knowledge and expertise by public, private and civil society stakeholders.
POSCO contributed generously to the three-year partnership with Habitat for Humanity Vietnam in Ba Ria Vung Tau province by funding the project through its Corporate Social Responsibility effort, the use of steel products and technology as well as volunteer labor. Habitat for Humanity Korea has also been instrumental in the success of this innovative where a total of 104 Vietnamese families have created a better life through stable homes, water and sanitation facilities, and facilitation of the selection and resettlement of extremely vulnerable families. Other countries in the Asia Pacific region where POSCO has provided key support for Habitat for Humanity’s programs include Indonesia, Korea, Myanmar and Thailand.
During this year’s United Nations High Level Political Forum on the SDGs currently being held in New York, Kelly Koch, Habitat for Humanity Vietnam’s National Director will join POSCO representatives at a side event scheduled for July 17, 2018 to highlight the achievements of the Vietnam POSCO Steel Village project. Presentations during the event will focus on the best practice of inclusive solutions on the implementation of the SDGs. We are pleased about Habitat’s representation at such a high level U.N. meeting that demonstrates the power of partnerships and how Habitat for Humanity is contributing to the implementation of the SDGs.
Details of the side event:
- Event Title: “The Power of Partnerships: Finding Inclusive Solutions for Sustainable Societies”
- Host: Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Korea, Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) and Global Compact Network Korea
- Venue: CR8 at the U.N. headquarters in New York
- Date & time: July 17, 1315-1430
- Presentations by KOICA, KT, POSCO and Tree Planet on the best practice of inclusive solutions for the implementation of the SDGs as well as Q&As. Following POSCO’s presentation, Kelly Koch will introduce Habitat for Humanity and highlight the achievements of the POSCO-Habitat for Humanity Steel Village project.